Friday, March 6, 2020

The aliens are coming

     I did figure out a quilt for my cousin's grandson who is three and  facing real nasty surgery to repair a birth defect. Previously I shared some quarter square blocks that did not work. This quilt was inspired by the geometric quilt ideas from Quilted Twins. I fussy cut the squares to showcase the animal or alien or superhero. My idea was that as the little guy was laying in bed, he could "I Spy" all the various characters hopefully distracting him from his recovery. 
    For the shadows, I did not use solid fabric, but a dark blue with black spirals. The lighting does not do the quilt justice. Too wet and icky to photo outside.
    I used some alien green fabric for the outer border and some blue fabric that had some scrubbed character to it- think it is a Lori Holt. I own some in green also. I thought it would make a great border for some quilt when I was fabric shopping in Ohio. 
     The backing is ombre fabric I had for a while, and a friend gave me the cartoon superhero word fabrics used in the center. I think the back goes together well with the front.
     Now it is loaded on the long arm and trying to get it done.






10 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That is cute. I'm sure the little boy will like it. I hope he recovers quickly.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be a great quilt for him, as he recovers from surgery!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Surely this will help him feel better.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Great idea to entertain a young fellow who also needs a quilty hug.

Debbie said...

How cute....know he will enjoy and spend hours spying!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your quilt - he should have fun finding all of the characters! I hope his surgery goes well and that he has a speedy recovery - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

Wishing your cousin's grandson the very best for his surgery and I'm sure he will love his quilt , it's fantastic!
Such an effective pattern with the nine patch blocks floating in space!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out so Fantastic!!! he will love it and it will entertain him too!! What a sweet thing to make for him!!

Preeti said...

That is loads of fun with so many cute fabrics!!!

Jan said...

Wow, that looks super cool, Linda. Love the shadow quilts you are making.