Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Valentines times 54 plus one heart

     Every year I make Valentines cards. I try to increase the recipients, but it gets harder every year. It is my gift to the people I know and love.  I love to make them, but hard to produce so many. Maybe because I feel each one has to be unique and stitched with a lot of variety. I used to silk screen them, but gave up silk screening to focus on quilting.
    I had an idea in my head, so I started sewing about 18 x 21 pieces of made fabric. I used white felt as the base and did the stitch and flip method of sewing strips on (raw edges set my teeth on edge). Then I used ribbons and stitched them over the fabric. 


I  made three of these slabs
    Evaluating the pieces, I made heart templates (2 shapes out of template plastic and traced the hearts on the made fabric with a think black sharpie. I cut them out carefully with my excellent Karen Kay Buckley scissors as I packed them together so I would have little waste. I had some plain home dec canvas type fabric that I cut into rectangles, sewed a thin metallic gold thread line around, and then frayed the edges to the thread. 
     I pinned the hearts in place and sewed the hearts to the canvas with a black thread and zig zag stitch. I experimented with other stitches and different sewing machines. I did try my Kenmore 1040 (the Ketherweight), my Bernina 830, and the 401. The 401 did the best job with these, so all the rest of them were zigzagged on it.  To make the cards, I used the Ketherweight, a 301, a 401- love giving those gals a workout.

     The rectangles with hearts were glued on blank cards bought in packs of 50 at Joann's (coupon of course) with Quick Grab Tacky glue applied in 9 dots. The insides were stamped with a Valentine greeting, signed, and into envelopes, stamped and in the mail. The intown cards mailed Monday, the out of town ones last Thursday.

     It was 2 years ago- Feb. 7, 2018, I had a heart attack shortly after dropping the out of town cards at the post office. The other ones got mailed when I was in the ICU. Luckily, they were all ready.
      So, you can see why I approach that day apprehensively. This Feb. 7th, while in cardiac rehab (3 X a week), there was a problem when they read my blood pressure as is the custom before and after exercise. They said my heart was skipping around. I called the cardiologist and they set an appointment later this week for a Holter monitor. I called my primary and she got me in for an EKG immediately which showed a whole slew of PVCs. I never had them before. Accordingly I am a bit freaked out but the cardiologist did not seem concerned. I don't know how you can go from normal one day to bunches of PVCs the next, but I did. I sort of feel like a ticking time bomb at the moment. But the cards are out.

11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, goodness! Let's hope the cardiologist's lack of concern is a really good sign. Try to take it easy and don't worry until you know something for sure!

Vicki W said...

My husband was also just diagnosed with PVCs. The cardiologist also wasn't bothered. Put him on a beta blocker and all seems fine..but then he never knew anything was going on until his physical!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I had PVCs for over 50 years, not alarming rate of them and doctors weren't concerned either. Then I had an extreme case of PVCs back in 1998-99 which was caused by panic attacks which in turn were caused by anxiety. Beta blockers straightened me out. I know how scary it is because I really thought I was dying in 1999.

Debbie said...

What...another scare....again! Ok, just take a deep breath and think relaxing thoughts. I know with your recent history how alarmed you are. And I have no experience to help you. Instead I will remember you in prayer and say thank you again for my precious card. I now know how very special it is. You added a piece of your heart to them all I think :)
Seriously, don't panic until they get all the testing done. Your worry will not make it go away. Hugs.

Quiltdivajulie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiltdivajulie said...

My card arrived yesterday - what a happy surprise on a cold wet very gray day. Thank you! I hope you can sense my virtual hugs of support winging your way.

O'Quilts said...

IT is all very scary..I try to stay in the day...but it is so hard...Thinking of you. xo

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Glad your cards are out - but um!!! Lets think about you... I know you will be okay - rest up, heal fast and hopefully you will know the reasons soon - Prayers!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

How scary!! It's probably a good sign that your doctor isn't concerned - but that doesn't make it any less scary for you. I think that if any of your quilting/projects are causing you anxiety or stress - that you shouldn't waste your time on them - they're not worth it - your health is more important - Hugs - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great cards, but scary heart issues. My father in law has a heart procedure on Wednesday (he has afib and had bypass several years ago). Good luck.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great Valentine cards!! Sorry to hear about the cardiac hiccups. I have had PVCs for many years, I was told I was 'carrying a heavy burden' of them years ago. Beat blockers helped mine settle down but I am on a few other cardiac medications as well. I was told some folks have them and don't actually notice them, maybe you have had them before but they were never picked up. Anything on the cardiac side is scary, I speak from experience, as you do also. Worry will make them worse, or so I was told at the time, hope they settle down for you Linda.