Since there are so many polka dots in the little squares, I picked a blue border that had big subtle dots in it. In piecing the backing, I used neutral grays. The scratchy gray polka dot I had been hording and the large fan, dot print I also got from Gwen. I think they look great together. Someone in my guild has a real aversion to backs pieced like this and I know I will hear it during show and tell.
In the 4 patches, I used swirls in each square. I used straight lines in the lozenge shapes for anchor the color squares. I used cross hatching in the large 16 patches to echo the diagonal feel of the black HSTs. The border uses Baptist fans. Around the inside of the border, I made paisley repeats. At first, I had a star in those corners. After I took the quilt off the longarm, I saw those stars were useless, so I ripped them out and FMQ the same paisleys with my Singer 301 in the same thread. Love the corners now.
|The star did nothing to add to overall look|