Tuesday, January 7, 2020

FMQ quilt quickly for comfort

     A few days before Christmas, a woman in my class at church asked if I had a quilt or book or resources for her cousin's daughter, Ana, who is 4 and in the last stages of brain cancer. I ransacked my tops for one to finish quick and found a top  a friend had made for a FMQ presentation we made to our guild and I had never finished. 
     It was not my first choice for a child, but I had to have something now. I was able to finish the quilting on one of my Singer 301s with a new old foot that I bought online. The foot is a Singer darning foot that was sold for the 401s and the seller told me it would fit. Well, not exactly. I had to take off one of the thread guilds and crank down on the needle screw so it wouldn't hit. The foot itself was very stable and worked flawlessly. It cost a small fortune. I don't like the cheap ones that flop around and don't stay tightened. I have asked my husband to carefully grind down one corner so the screw holding the needle in will not have to be cranked so hard to be out of the way. Hopefully, he can do it.
     I used lots of thread colors because when I did the presentation, I tried different colors so it would show up on our projector.
     I was able to quilt, label, bind and pack it in a bag with one of my books and a couple of pocket quilts. The woman in my class was able to get it to her father when he came back to the Buffalo area to get more things because Ana was in a hospital in NYC.
     Last Sunday, the woman showed me a photo of Ana with the quilt over her in her hsopital bed. I am so grateful I persevered and was able to get it out although it was not my first choice.


 

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, Linda - it's beautiful!! I'm sure Ana loves the "birdies" and all of the bright colors - ;))

Gene Black said...

I think it is a great quilt for a child. The birds are pretty and the colors are happy. I am sure she is enjoying it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good work getting it done and delivered so that Ana can enjoy it. I think it is turned out beautifully.

Debbie said...

It's the gift of caring and love that makes this one a beauty beyond the words. And a good lesson to mind us that it is always good to have a spare comfort top or two on hand.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I know a little 2 year old who points out every bird in the sky, so this quilt could be totally appropriate for a 4 year old. Kudos for setting your perfectionism aside in favor of getting the quilt to a child who needs it NOW! I'm sure that she and her parents are grateful for your efforts.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sew nice that you had a quilt almost ready. I know it means a lot to the family and the little girl. I don't think I have a darning foot for a slant shank machine, but I do have a couple of slant shank walking feet that work great.