Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Assembly required

     In trying to get a handle on the new year and kick the can farther down the road, I gathered the bags containing all the pieces for a comfort quilt, but were not arranged and clipped for web construction piecing. There were more than a few. Yikes. 
     My mother can sew small straight seams and is bored a lot. I try and give her pieces to sew that I can trim later or don't have to match. Making kits for her is time consuming and then I need to trim, arrange and finish- a reason the pieces get bagged and piled up. 
     Every once in a while, Missouri Star reels me in with a great deal on a layer cake. If I cut the white 10" squares myself, my mom can sew the color and white squares on all four sides so I can make HSTs and trim them. I have to glue the corners with Elmer's washable glue because she won't use pins and pushes the fabric through zoom, zoom. Glued corners or seams work for her and they make less work for me ripping in the long run.
     The first one is the Disappearing Hourglass from MSQC. The blocks were from Kaffe and white HSTs. Once arranged on the wall, I realized I royally screwed up the blocks in rotating the centers most of the time incorrectly. I have made this pattern before- I must have been brain fried. I am not ripping out as the bias would kill the blocks. So, what you see is how it is going. They are clipped by column, numbered and ready for web piecing. It will have a 3" border.

     I have about 12 blocks left, so I will use sashing and cornerstones with a big border for a second one. I like to make my adult comfort quilts about 60 x 72-80" to actually cover them. 
     Next, I had batik and cream HSTs. I chose Supernova that Sarah shared. I had made one before with all kinds of blue and white. However, when I pinned these up and asked my husband what he thought, he said it was confusing and awkward in spots where it changed direction. Because this will be a comfort quilt, I want the design to be calm and comforting, so I took it apart. Sigh.
     I looked through my pins and drew up an idea giving a star look. Trusty old graph paper.
     Put this one on the wall and I think it is a winner. Some colors maybe need rearranging, so I will let it hang for a while. It used 120 HSTs- the exact same from the quilt above. There are about 48 HSTs left, so I will have to figure out another idea for those. This one will be about 60 x 72 with no border or maybe a thin one. I have to number and clip it together because I need the wall. Another one ready to web.

5 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Honestly, I didn't even notice that wayward block until I read your post more thoroughly! Supernova turned Stars, either quilt layout looks like a keeper to me.

Debbie said...

Name that Disappearing Hourglass....Don't worry about it! It is fun to just figure out how you did those variations, and that is a tough pattern if you don't stay focused. But I love, love love your new layout for the Supernova pieces. I do agree with your husband the supernova makes me confused too. Your star layout is much better and very soothing. Good job on it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the variations in the pattern in the first quilt make it more interesting.

I like your second arrangement of the HST blocks better too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Gosh I did have a good laugh at the first part of your post Linda! Happy to read that you decided not to begin unpicking, love the pattern and the colour. You made a good decision though to take apart the HST piece, it definitely couldn't be called a comfort sort of setting!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

On the top quilt, there is one block you could fix easily (2nd row, middle block). Also, turn the bottom left block so that it faces the same way as all the other blocks. Otherwise, nice blocks.