Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Another one prepped

     When making comfort quilts, I always try to have some that are more male oriented in fabric and color. When I find a reasonably priced jelly roll in this vein, I will purchase it for the big variety it gives. This is another kit I made for my mother. The pattern is a freebie, Meet in the Middle. Originally, I cut all the strips 10" long and had her sew 5 of them, short ends together, and then sew a white piece, 2 1/2" x half WOF, to make a tube.
     I cut the tubes randomly and layed them out. Then I numbered them. I glued the strips with dots in pairs, down the long sides and hung them on a hanger. Next time I see my mom, she can sew the long pair seams and press them open. Then I will have to glue up the next seams until all the strips are joined. It may need a white strip at top and bottom to make it long enough for a comfort quilt.

All numbered. I glued the long edge of pairs, 16 pairs of them.
Postscript: My mom did not sew all the edges I glued, but sometimes on the opposite open side which means the numbers do not line up across. I thought by glueing the one long edge, like the one between 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, and 5 & 6, etc., there would only be one side obvious to sew. If I would have pinned all the right edges, it would have been a nightmare transporting and untangling them. My plan did not work, and so I have to rip long rows that are not sewn on the glued edges in order for the strips to be in numerical order. Sigh.

9 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

That's a huge sigh!! Sorry to read you're going to be busy unpicking yet again! I'm not generally a fan of browns/fawns but I do like this one very much.

Joyce Carter said...

Bummer. Did you explain to your mom which side you wanted her to sew? Some times it is hard for me to remember things so I write a little note and pin it to the top of the first row telling me what I need to do. This helps me to remember so it might help your mom too. I am sorry that you have to go back and undo/ redo all those seams. It will be worth it though because it is going to be a very pretty top.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best laid plans...

Anonymous said...

This was such a good idea! So if you DIDN'T rip and redo, would it just contribute to the apparent randomness? Is the numerical plan all that important, in other words?

ceci

Debbie said...

I like the plan and the quilt top to be. Looks like a good one to have on hand. So sorry for the confused execution of it and for the nightmare of ripping. Hoping it goes better next time:)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am with anonymous - before you rip out those seams, see if the altered design works on the design wall.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the idea of more manly fabrics - So... what happens if you just leave it the way mom sewed it and make it a *random* accident quilt???

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with everyone else who said not to rip out the seams - or a variation of that - LOL. Try putting some of them on the wall "upside down" - see if you can find a layout that you like. You might be pleasantly surprised - if it's random - who's going to know that you didn't plan it that way? - ;))

Preeti said...

Sorry about the wrong turn but I do love where this is headed!!!
It looks very chic and reminds me of paintings in a fancy hotel lobby.