Friday, July 26, 2024

Rose extravaganza!

    Not sure I can take any credit for it, but my rose garden was stupendous this year. I buy my roses online from Heirloom Roses They sell their own root stock, not grafts. They have super videos that show planting, care and pruning. I pruned them this year with the video next to me on my phone. I think I did it correctly. There are a couple of David Austin shrub roses and a very cool one called Hot Cocoa that has dark, shiny leaves and orangish red dusted with cocoa flowers. After the first explosion of colors, the Japanese beetles moved in and I go on missions a couple of times a day to dump them in a container of soapy water. Not many blooms now, but those drated bugs chew them up.


Take it easy



Small pink climber

David Austin shrub rose


David Austin shrub rose



David Austin shrub rose


David Austin shrub rose

Hot Cocoa






4 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a joy to read your post and see your beautiful roses Linda - just what I needed! David Austin roses are my favourites, I have quite a few in the garden and the scent is stunning, all finished flowering now though and time to prune. We have green bugs to eat all our flowers and veg here, they are commonly called 'stink bugs', when you pick them off whatever they're munching on they have the most awful pungent smell, must try your soapy water trick with them.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The roses are beautiful. I have no patience with anything with thorns.

Gene Black said...

The roses look lovely. I do love that Hot Cocoa and the "peppermint" pink one (3rd and 4th photos.)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your roses are GORGEOUS, AMAZING, and FABULOUS! I love roses but have no patience with growing them. THANK YOU for all these beautiful photos.