Monday, January 29, 2024

Taking a big chance out of the comfort zone

     It is no secret that my favorite place on earth is the Adirondacks, especially the Old Forge-Fulton Lakes area. We rent a place for a week in August with all the family, and 4 days in October for just the two of us. I shot many photos of the landscape for painting reference. Over the years, we bought photos and made friends with an extraordinary photographer, Kurt Gardner https://www.kurtgardnerphotography.com/. He has a gallery in Old Forge and I have taken a few photography classes with him shooting early morning landscapes.  In October, he asked me if I would teach a beginner watercolor class in his gallery as it is closed in February. I have never been to the ADK in winter. I live in Buffalo, NY which can have scary snow enough. Old Forge is looked at as the snowmobile capital of NYS, which is a reason I never went in winter. I did not really think people would want to go to Old Forge in February to take a watercolor class from some unknown artist. However, Kurt posted the class on his Facebook page, and what do you know, people have signed up. I am not on Facebook, so here is the link to see what I will be up to in Feb.: https://www.facebook.com/events/808432141293827/?ref=newsfeed 
     I have been pretty busy trying to prep the class, gather/buy supplies, and pull it together. I still think it is pretty funny some people are willing to go to the ADK in winter to learn watercolor painting. There are some sturdy people out there I guess.
     This is the painting we will do all together that I have sketched out for them. This photo does not show the colors as well as I hoped. The original photo we will work from is Kurt's that I cannot reproduce as it is his. All the paintings are quarter sheet Arches Cold Press 140 lb.which is about 10.5" x 14".

     Then after we work all together, they get to choose one of these three. The three paintings are mine from Kurt's photos.






7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

There are a lot of hardy people who love winter so I'm not surprised. It sounds like a lot of fun for you and the students.

Gene Black said...

I would love to take the class, but BRRRR.... I couldn't tolerate that cold for it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am such a beginner at watercolors … hoping you have fun with your class! Does your photographer friend have a website where we can see his work? Your paintings from his photos are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your work is gorgeous! Bet the class will be made up of very interesting people, hardy and adventurous souls. ❄️

Cathy said...

Oh, your work is beautiful! I do not think I would be able to chose one of those three paintings. I am not an artist. When I was little I used to get a few paint by number kits for Christmas and that's about the extent of my painting!

Good luck with your class!

Vicki W said...

That is going to be a fabulous class!

Mystic Quilter said...

One word I think on your paintings - stunning!! The colours are beautiful. Hope the class goes well Linda.