Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Not just quilts...

      I love to make quilts, sew quilts, cut quilts, dream quilts. However, I spend time and energy watercolor painting. It is a different thinking kind of art than quilting. You may have an idea, and sketches, but you don't know how it will go or where it go. All kinds of surprises and accidents of timing. I don't show my work, but just keep painting. I decided this year, I will put more paintings on this blog because the thought of making a second blog gives me the heebie jeebies. I paint because of color, value and texture. I quilt for the same reason. They are just different mindsets and processes. Hard to switch up the same day, so I work on one or the other in a day.
     I finished a small quilt, made from some orphans reworked for my granddaughter for Christmas. She loves it!

Doll quilt and pillow for Violet



      I also finished the long delayed butterfly pillows for my couch.

     They were FMQ quilted on the Singer 301 with a backing and then assembled. They are double sided, big ones on one side, lots of butterflies the other. Changed up the border fabrics. The old ones were really pitiful. I am not a great Home Dec sewing maker. I like quilts. I could have sewn a decent size quilt in the time it took me to do these pillows.

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I completely understand this. I love working in different media. In addition to quilting and painting, I weave fabric, and do some work with clay.
Each of these require some different skills. I think working in more than one area of creativity helps our brain function.

Jocelyn said...

The quilt for Violet is so sweet. I am not creative, so taking another art form is foreign to me. Glad that you are able to paint. I'm sure they are beautiful.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Maybe Violet will be the grandchild that will want to hang out in your studio with you.
I dread doing any pillows or curtains. I have done so many in my past but it is a pain to do them now. Creating art is so much more fulfilling.

Mystic Quilter said...

More paintings from you on this blog will be excellent! Looking forward to seeing them come along. Love your butterfly pillows, reminds me that I need to make two more for our place.