Thursday, May 11, 2023

Hands to Help Quilts

      Every year I try and complete some quilts for Sarah Craig's Hands to Help Challenge. This year, as last, I will send these 3 baby quilts to Little Lambs when completed. The great thing about them is they participate in a shipping service that lets me ship all them for one low price.
    This year, I made one baby girl and two baby boys. I used the same design to make things quicker and easier. For a while, I have been making a scrap quilt called Scrap Jar Stars as a leader ender. When I started it, I made sample blocks for the star. I loved the little one (uses 1 1/2" squares), but the amount of blocks needed to make a quilt was daunting. I used 2" squares for the center, 3 1/2" for the HSTs. As I looked at the blocks, I thought, why not supersize? I graph papered it out and used stash fabrics. Later, I found that she has a baby quilt pattern available for this star. Well, my brain got a workout, always good.
    Because of the eye surgery, I have not been able to quilt them yet. I may miss the June deadline to ship them, but I will complete them and send them. I am making the backings now. They are about 49 x 49.

Big and little stars

Girl quilt

The Starry Night fabric for the border is special because it is from my friend, Terri, was passed away in December, and I used it in her grandkids quilts. I know she would have loved to see this.


3 comments:

Gene Black said...

Those tops are lovely. I am sure they will appreciate receiving them even if they are "late."

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Gene - they are lovely even if they will be "late" - ;))

Vicki W said...

I like that pattern a lot. I might have to make some of those for my local organization.