Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The Stripes have it

     A couple of years ago (grimace), a woman at my quilt guild gave me a plastic shoe box filled with 2" scrap stripe squares. She knew I loved stripes (for bindings) and knew I loved scraps. The box was pretty full. I started to sew 9 patch blocks as leader enders. I tried a dark stripe center and then a light stripe center. I oriented all the light blocks in one direction and the dark in another. I chose the light centers. I made a lot of blocks, but had no idea what to do with them. I asked quilters experienced in scraps, but no one had an idea. I tried square in a square blocks with black and white triangles, but it was yucky.
     Then I pulled out my off-white scraps and fooled around with the stripes. I decided to put one square in the middle and frame it. Liked it. Then I combined the 9 patch blocks and the framed blocks, but it was boring on the wall. Then some fell off and tilted to suggest an on point layout. Hmm, sort of liked it.
     When I had eye surgery and could not see well, I started to put blocks on the wall and sew more blocks. I drew a sketch on graph paper and decided to make it 10 nine patches by 11 nine patches alternating rows with the framed blocks. I was obsessed with making them all. Then I was obsessed sewing them together which is a time consuming boring task. I used a stripe fabric for a thinner border and then pieced the outer border using off white with white fabric using square in a square corners.
     I can't believe I finished it all. However, my eyesight has not returned to normal. It is better than it was, but it is still like looking through a sheer curtain that moves. I put off the other eye surgery until this one clears.


Layout



All sewn

A stripe border and off-white border

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would say you made a very attractive quilt with all of those stripes. On point, not as much fun to sew but so eye catching when done. The striped border looks great too.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I really like this too... a great scrap-buster but much more orderly than most. Very nice!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

VERY nice!! It's a great use of stripes - and the on-point setting really shows them off - :))

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a challenge - your quilt top is wonderful!

Gene Black said...

Wow! Stripes are a bit of a challenge for me. Yet you have made them into a cohesive quilt top that is just lvoely.

Linda Swanekamp said...

For some reason, I am not getting the comments. I read other people are experiencing the same thing. Any idea what to do?

Cathy said...

Oh, I just love what you did with those striped squares!
My eyesight got worse without glasses after my cataract surgery but with a pair of new eyeglasses now at least I'm not blind in one eye anymore even with glasses. I have to go to appt in August for glaucoma.
Comments not working for me either. I think maybe Google Blogger must be having a problem. I even tried to change to comment moderation to see if I would get email notifications that way but that hasn't worked either. Another strange thing is that when I looked in blogger stats for the last 7 days the largest referrer by location was Moldova(10.8K) that beat out the US (3.29K) by a long way. Plus the top referring URL was something strange looking. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a fantastic way to use those stripes!! they look amazing!
and I really like how you pulled it all together with that striped border!

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, the quilt is amazing! Love, love, love it.