Monday, April 3, 2023

Retreats are for progress

      Sounds counterintuitive, but going on a quilt retreat, if you plan for it, helps make huge progress in finishing quilts. I plan and take blocks that need to be webbed and all sewn together. I also take blocks that are laid out on freezer paper (ironed on) and put together those blocks. I take a couple of leader/ender projects. And snacks.
     Lately, it has been hard to get quilters to go on the retreats, which we do in March and November typically. We used to have 20 and a waiting list, now we get six, which is not as much fun. The place we go is Stella Niagara, an old school/covenant/mother house and sits on gorgeous land on the banks of the Niagara River above Lewiston, NY just before it empties into Lake Ontario. They feed us and we have our own bedroom and a large room to set up all our stuff and leave it there.
     As we finish projects, we load the railing into the room with them for view.




Some of the blocks sewn from Pixel Chain that I had ironed on freezer paper for portability and to keep the pieces in order.

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have been to one retreat. That was a class with the Gee’s Bend quilters. I got a lot of starts made there. A few of those pieces are in my current exhibition.

Jeanna said...

I would love a quilt retreat. I've been to a cross stitch retreat and have two of those coming up soon. There are some really nice projects hanging on the rails there.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at all those fun finishes!!! your pixel chain is really pretty!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a beautiful location for a retreat! I LOVE your Pixel Chain - and the other pretties on the railing - looks like you were all very productive - ;))

Vicki W said...

That place looks gorgeous! Heck, I'll drive up there and join you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I hadn't thought about ironing out the pieces of a block onto freezer paper. Good idea.

Mystic Quilter said...

Looks like a very productive retreat Linda. and I particularly like your Pixel Chain, what a good idea to iron onto freezer paper, I must remember that trick.

Karen Szymanski said...

Have you thought about opening up your retreats to other quilters you know? It might allow you to fill up your group and have a more enjoyable retreat.