Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Really nice things to think about

       I have to be careful to not oversaturate myself with current events. I need to think critically and deeply so as to not fall for the lies and manipulations of the whole covid fear entrapment, but I need to keep the good in focus and give gratitude daily for wonderful things so I don't get overwhelmed and fall into depression. Taking photos helps to look at what is right in front of me and see what has been created.
      Last year, I bought a bunch of amaryllis on sale for gifts. I had one left over, grew it, put it outside during the summer, followed some simple steps, and enjoyed the flowers just recently. Just when the 4 blooms were going to open, my cat, who never destroys anything, reached up and knocked off two of the buds right in front of me. I was not happy. However, the other two opened and they were glorious. I just stared at the beautiful stripes and coloration until they dried up. I will try to take care of it for another year.





     And then in the mail, I received a box from a blog reader, Sally, and it was unbelievable! It had all kinds of bright fabrics and a whole collection of bright batiks. Also, two large pieces for backings were nestled inside. I could not believe the riches contained inside. Rosie loved the box.

Backings!!
      It has been grey, cold, icy, snowy here. However, the Helleborus have done their duty- they have buds where there is ice and snow. Spring will come and the buds will open!
Yellow buds
Pink buds

10 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Pretty flowers. What a fun box to receive. I know that you will have fun with all of those fabrics. Thanks again for my lovely card. I still haven't sewn on my machine, so it is still sitting on my machine (I do look at it daily, I just haven't stitched anything).

Gene Black said...

What a joyous box to receive from one of your readers. I hope you enjoy working with those lovely fabrics.

Joyce Carter said...

Beautiful flowers and gorgeous fabrics! Enjoy all of them.

Vicki W said...

What a lovely box of goodies. I know that you will make great comfort quilts with them!

Mystic Quilter said...

I see more cheery comfort quilts waiting to be made from these fabrics, such a lovely gift to receive. Amaryllis blooms are so special and you wee lucky to grow one, shame about Rosie losing you two of the flower buds. I have been buying the bulbs with shoots coming along nearly every year but can't get them to repeat flower the next year for me. Do show us the fully opened hellebores Linda, I love them!

Jeanna said...

Your amaryllis is so pretty and Sally sent you a bundle of goodness. So many pretty fabrics and even backings! Can't wait to see what you make with these fabrics.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a beautiful flower!! The stripes are so cool!
and Yay - what a beautiful box to get!!! I know you will enjoy it!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Pretty Amaryllis. I was hoping all 3 of my Amaryllis bulbs would have blooms this year because I did all of the right things over the summer and cool and dark in the late fall/early winter but only one bloomed and the second one had a bud peeking out that just dried up. The third one, nothing.

Sally Trude said...

Dear Rosie, You get the best toys! I asked for a plant and I had to hear some dumb story about a “destroyed precious heirloom.” Shredding paper is about all I have left to have fun and get attention. Cheers from Molly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree about needing nice things to think about - they make our days kinder and more positive. Your amaryllis blooms are/were spectacular! And what a glorious surprise box of color and goodness!