Sunday, January 22, 2023

Calm before the storm

      Well, we already had a blizzard storm and death of a close friend, but stormy events were not through yet. For the first time in three years, my husband and I went to Niagara on the Lake in Canada for our "normal" post Christmas visit - a couple of days between Christmas and NYE (his birthday) and just walk the gorgeous village and enjoy the quiet and architecture. I couldn't believe we could finally just go to Canada without any awful paperwork and tracking. It was glorious to drive over that bridge. The first day was unbelievably calm and sunny (rare here). We walked through the park that is along the Niagara River as it empties into Lake Ontario, Fort Niagara on the American side, directly across. We found an open park bench in the sun and drank it in.
     The drive up there was even more beautiful than I remembered it and I teared up. Here is a post from the past: https://artinsearch.blogspot.com/2015/01/how-about-those-goals.html

The park, the river, the lake, Fort Niagara on a gorgeous day

The famous gazebo in the park that I had gazed at across the river for the past three years

Fort Niagara getting fixed

Looking towards Lake Ontario in the park





      While sitting on the bench next to the one in the photo, basking in the 42 degree sun, my phone rang which is odd because I do not have coverage in Canada. I was close enough to the American shore opposite for reception I guess. It was my cousin saying she was with my 90 yr. old mom in an emergency center because she was shoveling snow (!!!) and ended up with a blinding headache. Preliminary CT scan showed a brain bleed. So, had to leave the idyllic time and cross the bridge and started a 2 week saga of ICU, hospital, rehab, paperwork, fighting, lots of driving, and total upheaval before she went home insisting no support services. She was fortunate that the bleed clotted, no structural damage obvious, and seemingly no effects on motor or memory. However, we bore the brunt of decisions, finding paperwork, doing legal stuff, listening to nasty complaints (food, the rehab center, etc). I regret I taught her how to use a cell phone. It was non stop.  It was very stressful and draining. My husband got a bad respiratory virus and is still fighting the coughing and congestion. So, we lost the hotel stay, but paid for it and did not get to set our goals for the year as we do up there. But I have the photos to prove we made it, even for a short while.

7 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Another difficult time. I'm glad she is home now. At 90, why was she shoveling snow? It's time for her to have someone else shovel now. Maybe a neighbor? My son shovels for 2 ladies that live close to us.

Carolyn said...

How very stressful. I have been through these trials with an elderly parent, and I know how exhausting it can be. My heart goes out to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. We've had those stints of consequences from an elderly parent making reckless choices (shoveling snow, going for a long walk, staying alone and subsequent falling) and I can empathize with your distress and frustration. And your poor husband being sick on top of everything else.

I always swear I will be a model of prudence and cooperation in my very old age. One can hope.

Best wishes from an admiring reader.

Ceci

Quiltdivajulie said...

Elder parents can be so wonderful and yet so challenging . . . been through it with both of our mothers (one with dementia/Alzheimers and the other with an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer plus advanced osteoporosis). Both were stubborn like your mom and very independent (both widowed at younger ages). I am so glad that you and your husband had those few hours of peace and that you have those photos to remind you the rest of the world is still out there, even though sometimes it seems like the inside of your car or a waiting room somewhere dominate your lives. Take care!!

Vicki W said...

OMG, your stress levels must be through the roof! I do hope you get some peace soon!

Anne Kirby said...

Oh my gosh, glad your mom will be okay! My brother is 10 years older and his use of a cellphone astounds and confuses us! He texts us with every little frustration in his life, all day long. But can't remember any passwords so his affairs are a tangled mess. We try to help but he thinks being independent means no help. Ugh!

Mystic Quilter said...

Only just arrived at the computer after a few days absence to find this post from you Linda. So sorry your time of respite was so quickly cut short, your photographs show us a stunning place to spend time taking in all the peace and quiet. I'm so pleased to read that your Mom has recovered from the bleed, she is very lucky, you on the other hand have had a terrible time, I hope you are recovering from the ordeal now.