Sunday, December 5, 2021

Block swap, 4 patch

 

    These two blocks represent two sets of blocks, 24 each set. My guild did a block swap share using 3 1/2" squares  made into 4 patches. I was first introducted to block swaps when I took a workshop at Quilting by the Lake and shared a dorm suite with Lynn Roddy Brown, who has books on the subject. Later at Houston, I got to take a trunk show class she offered with the quilts from the books. I lent my books to the program chairs and they decided to do these blocks. 24 people signed up, so I ended up getting 48 in return.
     Some of the blocks did not have the specified contrast, so I ripped them apart and added the lights. I also had to make a lot of extra blocks because some people had trimmed them to finished size, so half were not the right size. I wanted to do something a bit different, so I set the blocks on point with a plain block of a taupe with dots. By making the setting triangles a darker gray, it gave the quilt more contrast. I lined all the squares up so that the color prints went up and down like a beaded curtain. Lastly, I auditioned a whole lot of border choices- trying to stick with a dot theme, and chose one to add as the border. It is a nice size and now I need to find a back. All those disparate color squares nicely jell. I really like it. I guess I am just a simple person and scrap lover.



7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is really pretty! I like the grey border and then the darker one - it makes all those colors pop!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Very striking! There are many of us who love the simple shapes and letting the color (fabric) do the work. My favorite Kaffe book is "Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts". There is something about the repetition of a shape that is so calming yet striking in its simplicity.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - really pretty and very striking. I like to let the fabric do the work, too - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

I totally agree. It is so pretty with all those beautiful colors. Sometimes something simple is so much better.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those swap blocks were a great jumping off point for this quilt top, Linda!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Quilts made with squares, whether 4 patch, 6 or more are a favourite of mine and You've made a lovely quilt here, a real traditional feel to this with the mix of bright colours paired with the light squares.

O'Quilts said...

very very nice. Love the way the white squares sparkle in the cream..