Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Well, mine is still up

      All but the binding is finished on the Christmas Trees quilt. My real tree is still up so I think I am good on the tree front. I hate to take the tree down because of the bright cheer it adds on these gray days and because it was from my tiny yard- I will never have 20 years to grow one again. 

     Most of the quilting went ok, just a little bad tension ripping. I had the plan in my head and it went as planned, so that is a plus. Plus, I liked the quilting. I used Celery Glide top and bottom. I need to make the binding but, I have glaring error. When I was trimming the border, because I had a new blade and was careful to not put my fingers close to the edge of my steel framing rulers, the ruler shifted and I cut a slice out of the edge. I cannot trim it even as I would lose too much. I am trying to figure out how to add in a strip, front and back, to hold the binding straight. Never done that one before. The steel rulers are slippery and I try and hold them at the edges, but there was that new blade to deal with.

Oopsie edge gouge- oh no!
Figuring out the backing was hard, but worth it. Started with a panel, but needed much more.

Backing sewn

Needs binding and fixed edge

Detail

Quilted Back

Detail of back

10 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, no! How deep is the gouge? Could it be hidden under the binding if you "built up" the missing part and/or added a slightly larger width binding? - ;))

Debbie said...

Trees look great, the backing is a treat. You will have both sides to enjoy. The over trimmed/ mis-cut edge.....Only one fix I can see and you will hate it. Fuse a strip of matching fabric over the section for front and back. I would go ahead and top stitch it in place with matching thread. Press and then trim carefully. Add the binding. I bet when finished it will be barely seen.

Dre in PA said...

FWIW, trimming it uniformly narrower and cutting into the quilted circles would bother me less than a visible patch.

It's possible you could remove the last line of quilting on the affected circle to give you enough purchase to sew in a segment of border. Then after, refill the quilt line. That stands a better chance of producing a long lasting patch.
You might even be able to fussy cut a matching segment of pattern, if you have the patience and the fabric. Matching up the quilt lines isn't that difficult. Leave long thread tails to blend by hand.

Kathy S. said...

The trees quilt is gorgeous! Ugh on the slip of the rotary cutter. I have sewn a piece on the edge (front and back) and then re-quilted it. It was on one of my very first quilts. I don't think anyone has ever noticed the piece except for me (but my fabric was pretty busy).

I took our tree down on Sunday. I was ready to get on with the new year. I was happy to have everything back in place when we got back into our normal-to-us routine with remote learning and such. I can't believe I got everything put away in one day. That's a new record for me.

The back is a fun surprise.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those trees are so cool - and what a great backing you made for it!

Ahem - Mine are never straight -so you could just say I bound it - and blow the boo boo off! haha

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The tree quilt is really pretty both front and back. I don't have a tree but all of my little Santas and my Christmas quilt are still out. I give myself until the 15th to put them away.

Vicki W said...

That turned out really pretty! A couple of applique bits and some batting and no one will ever find that little mistake. I know because I did the exact same thing once.

Quiltdivajulie said...

All of our smaller things are put away - the big tree with lights only in the foyer is still in place for another few days. Sorry about that rotary cutter slip - looks like you've gotten several good ideas to "fix" the boo-boo.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations on the finish Linda - the trees are a delight and you found the perfect fabric panel for the backing. I have been attached to my iPad and tv news here to hear if it was Democrats or Republicans holding the Senate - hooray for the result, but then I saw what was happening at the Capitol - unbelievable, totally unbelievable and after writing to you I'm off to catch the TV news which will no doubt have coverage. Stay safe with the rising Covid numbers and addition of a new strain.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry about that gouge. Maybe you can sew a length of matching fabric over that area, add some batting and then sew a length over the backing before re-trimming. Maybe it won't be seen unless someone is close (riding by on a horse rule). Good luck!