Wednesday, September 30, 2020

A bit of a break

     My painting teacher holds a paint out every September on Chautauqua Lake at the Chautauqua Institution. I went for a couple of days. Demo in the morning, paint the rest of the day, critique at 4:00. My husband went with me and just walked and walked and read on the little porch of The Maple Inn. Normally, the Institution is very pricey, but the season ends in August. The quaint houses are outrageously expensive and all closed up now. The season is from June-August. It has all kinds of music, arts, theater, lectures, etc. during that time. This year, all cancelled. I have mixed feelings about the place. Only the very rich have access unless you are one of the presenters/entertainment (who have to rent elsewhere). These gorgeous houses sit empty most of the year, many zippered up in huge canvas protectors. It is gated and you have to have a pass (bar coded) to enter and exit. I won't get any more political than that and bite my tongue. 







    My daugher-in-law's cousin was the head landscaper until her tragic death due to hospital error about 5 years ago. The Institute finished the garden she designed and it has grown up to be a lovely place.





7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a beautiful place! What is the reasoning for only having it open during the Summer?

Barb said...

Gorgeous photos of the gardens and grounds.
they cover whole houses?
Would love to see your painting

Debbie said...

Beautiful gardens and quaint settings. Treasures should be enjoyed more. Glad you had a time to go and paint. Good for the soul.

Quiltdivajulie said...

A break like that is good for every part of you. Totally understand why you stopped writing when you did, too.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Glad you got to take a break. It's interesting that those houses are open only in the summer - I wonder why that is. Lovely photos - and a wonderful memorial garden - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lovely! Glad you got to go. I don't understand having a lovely home and not using it more often. I'd love to have a cabin by a lake, but I'd use it off and on all year round.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a beautiful place - and a wonderful way to be inspired!