Friday, May 19, 2017

The Demo quilt

     Last Monday, I was the presenter at my guild for intro to machine quilting. We had just bought a Sony handicam and Epson projector, and I was the first to be projected on the wall so the whole guild could see. It was a bit disconcerting, because I had no idea what was being projected behind me. I did not know if it was a close up of me sewing or what. I prepped for two months. I am not a writer, and had to make a handout of basics. To write 3 pages with links and illustrations (tension) took me way too long and too much sweat. It is hard to distill what you know and recommend on a handout in a logical, coherent manner. I had an outline with all the supporting materials and supplies with post it notes by number. I had everything set up and I realized I had forgotten the cone holder, so I had to sew with spools of cotton thread when I use Glide polyester. Lots of skipped stitches. 
    I made three sandwiches, 16 x 16, to show the types of patterns and brought a whole lap size quilt made from some left over panel squares and plain fabric with sashing. I used leftover panel squares on the back also. I showed how to handle a quilt and move it under the needle. Now, I have to finish the quilt on my domestic machine because it can't get rolled on my longarm. My domestic machine quilting is a little rusty, but I will try and finish it on my trusty Singer 301.
Disappearing nine patch
Backing
Some of the work I did in the demo


2 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful stitching! They should have learned a lot, and sure hope they were paying attention. Prepping and making handouts is a lot of hard work...writer or not. Very time consuming and those you have never done it have no idea. I am sure you did great and the sample looks so good.

Jan said...

That was one of the best demos I've seen. I thought you did a fantastic job and I really learned a lot. I WILL be quilting. I promise your demo will not be in vain!