Saturday, January 17, 2015

Cutting and cutting and have to stop!

      One of my goals is to tame the pile of fabric that is smaller than a fat quarter in the corner of my counter. It is sorted by batiks, childrens, and everything else. It makes me crazy. I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap saving system. The best thing is to cut the scraps right after you are done cutting out whatever. However, people give me a lot of scraps (Yay!) and they go into the piles. I hate taking the time from a project to cut. 

     For the past couple of days, I set up the ironing board in the kitchen and took my scrap strip bins that had random sizes and started to make set sizes. All of the 2 1/2" strips go in the flatter plastic boxes by color and stacked. The 3 1/2" strips go into a drawer in the Iris cabinet. The 2 1/2", 5", 3.5", and 2" squares each get a drawer in the cabinet. I started a bin for 1 1/2" and one for 2" strips, but not sorted by color. I actually filled 4 of those plastic bags from the grocery store with trimmings for this, so I must have done something. The pile looks a little smaller. I did not even get to the batiks. I think I can make scrap quilts now. Need more blades. I use the June Tailor shape cutter and the new Stripology ruter. I cut some on my counter and some in the kitchen. Anything to keep going.
All 2 1/2" strip boxes done by color
3 1/2" strips by light, medium and dark piles
Overflowing box of 5" squares by light, medium and dark.
Need a bigger box or more sewing.
The last cutting- leftovers from the backing of Circle Dance.
Hate cutting these, but it's fabric, right?
Blue, purple and green 2 1/2" strips
Neutrals, blacks, whites 2 1/2" strips
2" bin on left, 1 1/2" bin on right
     I was sewing Grand Illusion in between cutting to keep my sanity and I have all 25 blocks sewn and am working on connecting the green square strips now. I don't think I can cut scraps for a while joyfully.

1 comment:

Renea said...

I am doing the same thing as you are doing. Not sure where all these scraps have come from. I think they multiple when we are not looking. :) Keep up the great work. I am just taking one container at a time. I do have some empty ones now.