Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tilt!


     I showed the Double Hour glass blocks earlier and was able to lay them out. I did a straight layout. Hmm. The dynamic blocks looked boring. I left the room for a while and when I came back, I tilted them on point. I don't like sewing blocks on point because I cannot chain sew them into a web. I always get confused on point because each row is a different length. I have to take it off the wall one row at a time. When I finished Emma's star, I thought I was through with on point for a while. 
     However, the tilt brought back the sparkle I saw when I made the blocks. But now, I needed eight more blocks to make it a decent lap size (as shown by the white paper blocks). So, dig out the stash and cut eight more lights and eight more darks. Even though I cut 2 1/2" strips regularly from scraps and have them sorted by colors, there were no more strips that would work, so I had to make a mess digging fabric out of the plastic boxes. I did sew all the strips and cut them into the triangles. They are all stacked to chain sew.
   I have not decided what color to make the side/top/bottom triangles. White may be too stark, maybe an off white? 

Tried moving some around
Tilted!
2 sets of reject blocks- colors don't work with the others

5 comments:

Bees Knees Granny said...

Agree white setting triangles might make the blocks look "dirty." Instead of off-white, perhaps a color--I'd try either magenta or an orange. Keep on quiltin'
Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

Elizabeth said...

Love the tilt. I agree, on point construction is confusing. I am like you, I leave it on the wall and do one row at a time.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Since there are both dark and light values in the edges of the blocks it makes it twice as hard to choose setting triangle fabric. I would audition fabrics until I found one that works. A print might be better since most of your other fabrics read solid.

Vicki W said...

What a difference the on point layout makes. I can't make any suggestion about setting fabric because I would always do whatever Wanda told me to do. lol!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - love the tilt! When I make a top "on point" - I have to do one row at a time - so it's not just you. For the setting triangles - I would try everything from an off-white to gray - to black. Maybe even a brown - ;))