Thursday, October 29, 2015

Rail Fence rolled out

     I finished all the blocks for  Rail Fence and laid them out to see. The finished size for each block is 19". The quilt, if I use this layout, will be 72 x 72 which I am not sure is ok for a comfort lap quilt. I tried a 3 block by 4 block, but the scale of the zig zag seems too big to only go three repeats. I tried a couple of layouts, but am not sure what to do yet. This is when it would be helpful to have some one else in the room for feedback. Besides the cat.

Changed upper left corner only with an extra block 
Scrambled the blocks around
Although asleep on another floor, as soon as the blocks
hit the floor, trouble shows up to do his scrambling

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

What about scrappy top and bottom borders in the leftovers from the adjacent blocks. It might sort of look like the top and bottom colors spilling off the quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Vicki's idea is good if you want it bigger, and rectangular. I blocked off one row on the monitor and I don't think 3 x 4 looks bad if you want to keep it smaller.

Sharon T said...

I like the middle pic best. Have you considered placing the extra block on the back? Your quilt is beautiful!

Peg said...

Many patients are of a "larger" size these days. I'd go with the 72x72 and save it for the right person -Thinking of someone over 6 feet and 300+ pounds - many people of this size get cancer too and a smaller size might look like a place mat on their lap.

Janie said...

I like the upper left corner changed with extra block, it keeps your eye moving, to take in the whole. Great work, beautiful.

Missy Shay said...

It looks pretty nice. I had the same problem with my log cabin quilt. I left it square. Add a border if you think it needs something else.