Thursday, February 22, 2024

Flowers and Fabric, oh my!

      Two things I just love, fabric and flowers, have made an appearance around here lately. Two friends sent me fabric to help with making comfort quilts. Julie sent me some large pieces to help with backing and a whole load of 2 1/2" strips- some colors and a lot of low volume (yum) ones. I am trying to determine what quilts to make with them, paging through my collection of printed out ideas. Of course, then I had to rearrange two massive folders of printed out/purchased patterns. I arranged the strips by color and style for the photo. I usually put strips in a drawer by color.



     Also, I had a box of gorgeous fabrics from Gwen, who has supplied me over the years with big backing pieces in addition. I arranged the piles by type of fabrics (batik, florals, novel, kids) to figure out how to store these away. Lots of wonderful batik pieces to help augment the batik collections.

     One of my orchids is blooming. Every year for 5 years, it has sent out a shoot of blooms. They last so long and I am so happy to have some color around on these gray days.


     And, some of the Christmas cactus have shot out some wonderful blooms!



5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That looks like a lot of fun fabric!
You have more cactus blooms than I have. A couple of my plants only have one bud each. The orange one is going to be the the showy one at my house. Your orchids are so pretty. I don't have any luck with them, or maybe it's patience that I don't have.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Flowers and fabric indeed! My cactus (new in December) are developing some new "leaves" but no buds.

Mystic Quilter said...

A super collection of fabrics Linda, they should keep you busy!!I never seem to be able to have repeat flowering on my moth orchids, I may just try again when they're next on sale in the garden centre. Lovely to see your Christmas cactus blooms, mine of course will be 6 months away from flowering given our reverse seasons. The quilt I'm sending to you hasn't been forgotten, life has been a little difficult lately so I am behind with my list of things to do.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

THose are great fabrics - you will make amazing use of them!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Have fun with those fabrics and enjoy those beautiful blooms, Linda!! (And thank you for the lovely valentine that arrived in my mailbox recently. Such a treat!)