Saturday, December 14, 2019

Sometimes dreams take a long time

     Back in the 80s, I tried repeatedly to become a published children's book illustrator. Because there was a cheap airline, I flew twice a year to NYC to see publishers and attend the Society of Children's book writers and illustrators. Learned a lot, met a lot of great illustrators, but the endeavor went nowhere. I gave up, ran a graphic design business and went back to school at 41 to earn a teaching certification and masters in K-12 art. I taught for 13 years, retiring due to chronic migraines and middle school.
     I embraced quilting again just before I retired, having put it aside for the above. I love making all quilts, but especially comfort quilts. Almost all quilts I make are given away many, to people in need of them, mostly by referral. Included here is the most recent giveaway, an original design done as a mystery for my guild and Alycia Quilts. Some people asked me what I include in quilt package, so here is a photo of the bag, book, card, pocket quilt, and quilt.
All washed and fluffed.
Detail
All the pieces. Bags were donated, I sew a pocket on the front.
Recipient fighting brain cancer who I have not met. I don't meet most of them.

     I could not find a suitable childrens book to include for chidren referrals, and extensively searched along with my neighbor, Sandra, who is a professional writer. She wrote a suitable script and asked me to illustrate. I explained to her the above and she was not deterred. As I back out of my driveway, I pass her bedroom window. She kept taping signs in it, like "Do the Book", "You can do it", "It is waiting for you", etc. She wore me down. Using my grandson as a model, I posed him according to what I saw in the text, took tons of photos, did lots of sketches, painted all the 11 x 14" watercolors over a year.


    You guessed it, we could find no one willing to publish. We had some hard covers self published printed to try and find a publisher. Cold silence. For years. 
     Last summer, a small publisher, 50/50 press, contacted us. They had received one of our hardcovers through a convoluted trail. Almost a year later, Amazon printed it. Not thrilled with how the paintings printed, but thrilled for it to be there. Later, Barnes and Noble picked it up. Last week, our local paper, the Ken Ton Bee, interviewed us. 
     Finally, I have a book to include with the quilt package and a book for others to share.
     My grandson was five when I started. He is nine, going to be 10 in March. How is that for a long delayed dream?

16 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

Congratulations Linda! I am so happy for you. This is a wonderful experience and I am glad that you didn't give up. I told my grandson the other day to never give up on his dreams. If you do, part of you will die with the dream.Stick with it. Are you planning on doing other books?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations! We never know where the seeds from yesteryear might actually bloom. So happy for you.

Vicki W said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you persevered!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations, Linda!! I'm SO happy for you - dreams DO come true!! - ;))

Lily said...

Congratulations! Dreams will come true sometime it’s just not your timeline..

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's AWESOME news, Linda! Congratulations on your dream finding its way to becoming reality.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations! You never know when that right person will come by and make your dream come true.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lots and lots of congratulations to you Linda!! At last your long held dream has been realised and so wonderful that this beautiful little book is going to be enjoyed by the children who receive a quilt package. Amazing watercolours of the little boy!

Pat McDonald said...

Linda, You are the most amazing person, so talented, I am honored to know you and benefit from all your talents. Pat

Debbie said...

Amazing and such a wonderful story of fulfillment. I love it! The illustrations look wonderful on the screen. Big congratulations on the dream come true. all things in their season.....so hard to wait for them to come but it did! And that quilt is a beauty!!!

Gene Black said...

Life is interesting with timing. Our dreams come along when they come.
Congrats.

Connie said...

There is a season for everything. Congratulations!
Dreams do come true :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats! The photos you show are lovely! Let us know when it is at B&N.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh!!! THAT IS SO SO COOL!!! What a cool thing to finally have happen - and the prints are GORGEOUS!!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congratulations on the book that is an amazing story of its journey to be published

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Congratulations! Often it is God's time and not ours. Glad you have such a wonderful friend to believe in you and encourage.