The print has cats, plants and a vintage house- which he had. Because I had to order online, I did not realize how small the print was. I cut the print squares larger to fit in more cats. This disapppearing nine patch no longer was sewn from the planned 5" blocks, but 6.5" ones. The green batiks that I had were not big enough to be 6.5" square, so I decided I would use strips cut 6.5" long. This meant I could not sew a disappearing nine patch block.
Each print block was sewn with a batik strip. Another batik strip was sewn to a white square, and then pieced to the print square with strip. I chain pieced all this, so I am not sure if it really took more time than sewing a nine patch and cutting it up into fours.
I liked the idea of garden lattices. To give it that look, I used 1.5" strips between the small blocks and group of four blocks. The quilt is 3 large blocks of four prints by 4 large blocks of four prints- a total of 12 large blocks.
Sewing 1.5" strips straight for long seams makes me nervous to keep things even and straight, so I sewed lattice pieces first to the right of each big block, and the left for the sides. Then I sewed a strip to the bottom of each big block. The only long seams were the top lattice as every block got its lattice piece attached before all the blocks were joined. The white Kona makes the seams pretty invisible.
The top and back are reversible in case the guy gets bored looking at the same cats- took a bit longer. I free motion quilted the top from the lattice side for my placement. The back with the grid of cats just had to take what the front gave. Striped binding is my favorite and this quilt just wanted it.
I am trying to get in touch with my friend to work out when she can deliver this comfort (and hopefully motivating) quilt.
|On the long arm|
|Quilted without binding- good lighting and texture visible|
|Three different sets of flowers for center white blocks|
|Yes, I know the chalk is visible- it washed out|
|With binding- not as good light|
|Back, sort of|