I already had cut squares that I had place another project on before, so that was easy. I numbered the rows and letter the columns- like A1, A2, etc with painters tape. Then I placed each block with the triangles on the paper and ironed it down. I made columns A through E piles.
I chose to chain piece three squares at a time. I put a colored flower pin in each octagon oriented flower to the top, the same color pin and the same orientation on the freezer paper, and started on each octagon in the same corner and chain pieced. Even if I came back after a phone call or interruption, I knew exactly what piece went where. The only mistakes I made were on the first six blocks when I had not figured out the system yet.
|Pin placement to keep orientation piecing correct.|
|Blocks sewn and trimmed to 8 1/2"|
I did the webbing technique, sewing two columns blocks together keeping the rows connected by threads. Then I sewed all the rows. All seams in this quilt were pressed open due to the bulk and the bias. I don't usually, but this quilt needs it.
I have to say, sewing this quilt together was like little jolts of electricity- I was so enthralled to see what was happening and when I sewed it all- I was awestruck. I just can't believe what this fabric did. I love it. I am not sure how to finish it. I want it to look like it is in a gallery frame with not a lot of attention to the frame. Puzzling the finishing through while basking in the beauty.