Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Curtains are not Quilts

     Quilts I can make- curtains, who knows? My daughter asked me to make curtains for the baby's room and picked out the home dec fabric. I had to press my friend, Elizabeth, into service to help me. She had worked professionally making curtains and upholstery. She guided me oh so many weeks through each step from all the measuring and assembling. I also delivered them the same time as Sidney's quilt. 
    One big tip- always have the rods when you are making curtains. My daughter had the rods in PA and I'm in Buffalo, NY. The back rod of the double rod was a bit higher than the front, so the blackout curtain on tabs, was slightly longer and shows behind the bottom edge of the curtain. They are done and hung and I hope I never have to make lined curtains and blackout curtains again.
    Sorry for the poor photos as the sun was bright outside and the room was not.

7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Comments welcome!

Anonymous said...

You are a good mother. I hate all kinds of home dec sewing. All of my windows are covered with blinds!

Sally Langston Warren said...

They look great! I’m with ya.....curtains, clothing, pillows, slip covers are no fun. Some people make them look so easy, but for me it’s easier to go buy them. If you have a “next time” maybe you can use darkening roll up shades. Quilts are right up my alley. All the other stuff....not so much.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hate making curtains. I did it for 50 years because the quality of store bought curtains was so poor. Quilts are SO MUCH more fun!

Deanna said...

You did well. It is good for all of us to get out of our typical sewing pattern sometimes. It makes us appreciate the things we truly love even more.

Quiltdivajulie said...

They look great -- but like you, I'd rather make quilts!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the fabric used for the curtains. 30 years ago I made all the curtains for the four bedrooms in our home, plus sun sheers for laundry and bathrooms - never again!! I couldn't do it now, too cumbersome, hauling them through the machine etc.