Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Scrappy Super Zig

    Another quilt I made for the Easy Scrappy Quilt Presentation coming up is Super Zig by thehappyzombie.com. It is a free pattern that uses pieces 4 1/2" x 8 1/2". However, I wanted to show how to use scraps, especially 5" wide strips cut from scraps. Once I cut the length I needed (3 pieces x 8 1/2" long- 25 1/2") from a 5" strip, I cut the width of the pieces to the required 4 1/2" so the remainder of the 5" wide strip could be cut into 5" squares making more precut squares for the next quilt. I will show them how to choose scraps that will read well together. If I had more time, I would have used scrappy creams and whites for the backgrounds.
Stacks of all cut scraps by color

Blocks pinned in place

Rows sewn 

All sewn


3 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Great scrappy quilt, and a quick one to stitch up.

Debbie said...

You are a running commentary on using up those scraps! This is great.

Sarah said...

Awesome quilt pattern! Great idea to cut 5" strips to make the leftovers more usable.