Saturday, April 18, 2015

Nominate and more Gold Star quilts

     I became aware that the National Quilters Circle is running a best blog contest with several categories. I urge you to nominate your favorite quilt blog. Blogging takes a lot of time and energy and those who do it consistently and contribute to the field of quilting should be recognized. I made my nomination in the Best overall category to Exuberant Color. There are a handful of bloggers who have helped me and encouraged me way beyond where I was and Wanda is the quilting queen. I am so grateful to them. Every morning I read them and learn from them. If only I could be on that level to reach others!
    Two more Disappearing Nine Patch Gold Star Quilts. Quilted by Chasen Dreams. Photos shot outside in sun!!
The blue sashing is a chambray that someone gave
me big irregular pieces that I was able to cut into 5" squares
The back done with quilted fish

Back with hearts

Friday, April 17, 2015

Quilted and bound

     I am not sure why I have such a difficult time getting photos off the camera and into the blog. The process seems painstaking- hooking up the camera to the computer, choosing the photos, renaming them before they download, download to the right folders, using Picmonkey to crop/touch up, and then writing the blogpost. I have split the newest quilt photos into 2 posts. The Gold Star quilts have been my focus. Also, I have been eeking small quilts off the Nolting. Boy, do I do a wobbly job on it.
     First photo is a Laurel Burch panel that I have had ready to quilt for a couple of years. I have loved Laurel Burch for many years. The back is solid black and you can see the quilting there better. Done on my Nolting.
Photo taken outside in the sun, finally!
The black looks gray in the sun
The back photo taken indoors, still doesn't look black
     The Gold Star quilts are coming back from the longarm quilters, Chasen Dreams (on Facebook), two sisters, awesome quilters, who are donating their services, the batting, the labels and coordinating all these quilts for the Gold Star camp in July. Here are a couple I bound yesterday.
      The Disappearing Nine Patch using 5" squares will be a tutorial in May at Confessions of a fabric addict for the Hands2Help drive.
Front, Disappearing 9 Patch
Diagonal pattern from

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Little Boxes strip quilt

     This quilt is one that is made by sewing a white, color, color, white WOF strips in a set. I sewed a number of sets, then subcut the sets to 4.5" wide. I arranged it on the design wall. The pieces were sewn end to end on the 4.5" white edges. Then long white strips were sewn to the bottom of each row, except the top row got one white strip on the top. It needs no border and is larger than a lap quilt. The pattern is free from Liz at but I don't see it listed on her site. The name is Little Boxes. 
On the wall, not quilted yet

First off the Nolting!

      A lap quilt of exploding squares is the first quilt off the Nolting longarm. I used Glide on the top and So Fine 50 on the bottom. I found I could not do diagonal lines without big wobbles. Surprise, I did not know that you could not. I found out from the dealer that I need to purchase a ruler base and rulers to do diagonals. Who knew? I wonder what else I don't know that will surprise me. 
     A good surprise was that when I removed the quilt to photo on the design wall, it laid absolutely flat. Without being stretched and pulled through a domestic machine, but moved on roller bars, it stayed in a true shape. 

Sunday, March 29, 2015

The eagle, er Nolting, has landed

     I took the big plunge. I bought a true longarm. No computerization, just me moving it. I happen to have an extraordinary dealer, Delightful Quilting and Sewing, about 1 1/2 hours from me. I met Joyce at a NYS Quilt Consortium meeting and tried out machines in her business. I was able to purchase a used, reconditioned machine from Nolting. Joyce and her husband set it up for me and continue to answer my myriad of questions.
     I hesitated to put up a post because it is such a huge decision, expense, takes so much space and I am afraid people will think I am extravagant. I could no longer push quilts through  a domestic machine with my neck/shoulder issues. 
    So it is here and I have 12" left of a comfort quilt until I get it off and see how much I have to learn. I had to put in the basement and move a lot of stuff, but it is here and hopefully, soon, I will be more proficient.
Hate the knotty pine panels, so dark

Takes a whole wall up

Spring? Not! More Gold Star Dis9Patch

     Last Saturday, my husband and I went to Plantasia, a plant and landscaping show south of Buffalo. It was heavenly to see real green plants with real luscious flowers. In my excitement, I bought a new pair of garden shoes, Sloggers, made in the USA. However, this is what my garden looks like this week.
My garden
     My guild members and I have been making the Disappearing Nine Patches self sashing quilts in an I Spy theme still for the kids Gold Star camp coming in July. My friends at Chasen Dreams (on Facebook) are long arming them. We will put the bindings and labels on. More to come. I just got back the first batch quilted, so I need to make bindings quick. Below are more that just went to be quilted
My boy's chambray one, thanks, Edna for the chambray scraps!
Marcia and Mary's team effort
One of Elizabeth's many contributions

Friday, March 20, 2015

Dancing Star with borders

      Finally the quilt top is done. This is the last quilt I will make using the Square in a Square Method. It does work, I just like to not have so much strange shape waste and don't like the constant trimming process. It is not like any other quilt I have made, so my thoughts are not sure if I like it. .