Monday, August 17, 2020

Searching for a leader ender quilt

     Having finished the Wonky Star quilt, which was a leader-ender for a couple of years, I have been trying to get another one established. It has to be interesting, scrap based, and friendly. I have had a hard time finding a good candidate.
     I tried Bonnie Hunter's Shoo fly, and it did nothing for me. I tried her new Leader-Ender, but endless squares did not hold my interest. The other day, I tried her Snail's Trail scrap blocks, drafting my own pattern, but when I did 6 blocks, the result seems menacing to me. 
     I like the Wonky Stars because they all looked different and the angles made things move. I am searching for another candidate and would love to know if you have any suggestions.
Nah
Drafted the pattern
Too scary for me

8 comments:

Debbie said...

My favorite leader and ender to make is the bow tie block. seeing Wanda work on one now makes me itch. The other one I like to make is the Carolina chain from Bonnie. I have a couple on my blog. Simple squares and rectangles. And a rail fence comes in third for me.
I like your snail's tail blocks a lot.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Hmmm Small scraps? Maybe the pineapple blossom from quiltville? or a 16 patch with fun settings?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I never got the hang of "leader/ender" blocks - it's too confusing to work on two different things at the same time - guess I can't walk and chew gum at the same time - LOL. If you want a "no-brainer" - you could make "crumb" blocks - anything goes - and they all look different - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Crumbs or Strings are my Go To mindless sewing projects. Best of luck choosing your next Leader/Ender candidate, Linda!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I use my dumpster diving projects as never-ending leader enders. I am going to do the Easy Breezy blocks but not as leader enders - as their own project. I've also done twosomes for four patches then the four patches themselves (I pin pairs and set them to the side to use as L-E as needed). I don't like that Snail's Trail block either.

Mystic Quilter said...

Well I've never tried a Leader/Ender project, I often think of doing so but that's as far as it goes. Debbie mentioned Carolina Chain, I have seen this on Bonnie's blog and then a fellow blogger, Linda over at kokaquilts showed one she had made on her blog, it's beautiful, I've copied below
https://kokaquilts.blogspot.com/2020/08/a-scrappy-finish-1.html

Lily said...

What about a wonky square in a square? Then it can translate into a wonky shoo fly with wonky corners?
I tend to do squares for leader and Enders because it doesn’t need any thinking.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yes, I could definitely use no thinking. Thanks.