Saturday, July 13, 2019

Squirrel Time

     I thought I had my schedule all made up of what to work on. Our guild show is the beginning of October, so I have tops to quilt. I have an art show in September that I need a couple of small art quilts for. That was my priority. Changed.
     One of my friends, who volunteered to take care of my cat so he would not have to boarded,  told me of her friend who was stricken with an illness and is incapacitated in a nursing home at 63. He has refused PT/OT.  I knew I had to make him a quilt- Squirrel time. He loves cats and flowers. He was an avid gardner and cat owner. We chose some fabric online (wish I had some local quilt stores with choices) and when I got it, the print was smaller than I thought, so I had to rethink the design. 
     A while back, I made this Disappearing 9 patch with lattice and thought this would be a great idea.
     So, I thought I would use brown squares to repeat the idea of the window frames in the cat fabric. Well, big mistake- way too dark and overwhelming. Ripped it all apart. 
    I kept thinking about and thought green batiks might set off the squares.  However, my scraps were not quite the 6.5" I needed, so I used 3.25 x 6.5" scraps. Have a box of green scraps, so I cut those sizes. That means the quilt will not be assembled as a Disappearing 9 Patch, but chain pieced squares and strips.
   I like that much better, so that is the way I am going. A friend said the white looks like a hole, but I want a relief block in the quilt, so it is staying white.
     The quilt will be 3 by 4 big blocks, with some border, will have to see how it looks. Maybe florals.
     I wanted the back of the quilt to be interesting also. I can't imagine laying in bed all day and all night. I thought if the quilt reversed, it would be more fun. The back of the quilt will use this panel of cats cut into separate squares. I cut two of them, put a grey border on, and will use the Grunge Pear Green around all of the squares. 


8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Looking good! Chasing Squirrels is always fun - ;))

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a sweet and thoughtful gift!! I am sure it will make him happier!! and that cat panel - TOO cute!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a kind thing to do for a friend of a friend! That quilt is sure to brighten his days.

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely going with the green and white was a good choice, a beautiful quilt for a lover of cats!

Debbie said...

This is great! I like the white area....good for heavy quilting for texture. And making it a reverse sided project is wonderful for the giftee....just more work for you, but so worth the effort.

Vicki W said...

That is going to be such a special gift!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Definitely a squirrel worth chasing!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a good reason to follow that squirrel. I know that man will enjoy the quilt.