Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Moved from one quilt to another

     In my organization quest, I took fabric cut and part of a Judy Niemeyer quilt that I pulled the plug on and reassigned it after reading Sarah's post about her new effort, Rockin' Rectangles. I loved the quilt with the blue rectangles, a little way down. So, along with what was already cut, I added some more rectangles (2.5" x 6.5"), and auditioned a bunch of backgrounds.
     My goal was to have the background not stand out above the other strips, but not to be shoved in the back like it was pinned a white design wall. I tried all sorts of fabrics.




Narrowed down to three
Down to two.
      I don't usually pick a dark background, but with these batik colors, the darker gray seemed to brighten them and almost make them float instead of looking like blank space.
     I cut the background gray rectangles, put all fabric together with graph paper and Sarah's inspiration, and bagged it. It will be a good project when I just have some time or need to mindlessly sew.
 

3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great start to a wonderful New quilt!!!

Debbie said...

Absolutely right! Batiks always seem a bit grayed down to me anyway, so I think the gray is a very good choice to anchor and yet flow those fabrics. Great progress.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent plan - much better than the original JN project.