Once it was mostly laid out, I began sewing by using YLI invisible thread to stitch all the edges down. The 401 would not do little zig zags on the sandwich reliably. I went back to the 301 and tacked it all down. Sometimes the needle splays the fibers out all over the place. Hate raw edge.
I gathered the Glide threads and started with a light gray for the clouds and water reflections. I did not have a good medium gray- the one I had was too dark. I used some Nickel Glide, white, and two yellows. I used over 2 bobbins worth of thread. The wonderful Singer 301 just keeps chugging and stitching and the slant needle gives me great visibility.