Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The wheels on the bus go around and around and around...

     To Paducah, Kentucky for the AQS Quiltweek. I have dreamed of going and I jumped on a trip offered from Buffalo, NY. However, I think it will be my first and last bus trip. It took 15 hours to get there and 18 to get back. Not enough stops to stretch my legs. I am 5'8" and the seats are made for someone much smaller. I took a lot of work with me like knitting and handsewing, but it is a long ride. Our hotel was um, not great. But Paducah was warm and inspirational. 

    The AQS people know how to put a show together. I am excited to see what they will do in Syracuse as it is a 2 hour drive. The people of Paducah were very hospitable and went out of their way to help any one looking puzzled. They rented tour buses as shuttles to travel to any of the quilt related venues. The churches in the area hosted dinners and lunches for quilters which were awesome. More about that in another blog. 

  I visited the quilt show in the Convention Center, the National Quilt Museum (awesome exhibits and museum, but they allow no photos), Hancock's of Paducah (what can I say about a store this big filled with quilting fabric and super nice staff?), temporary fabric stores, the Historic Finkel building that had vendors and the AQS hurt book sale, and the bubble of vendors at the Convention Center.

   I met Shannon of Fabric N Quilts who let me choose fabric because I won an online giveaway. I chose some bright charm packs. Thank you, Shannon! What a terrific lady!

   I also met a blogger that I have read and corresponded and been inspired by, Sarah Craig of Confessions of a Fabric Addict. I was so thrilled to meet her. I wish I had taken pictures of meeting people and more, but I was brain dead from the ride and ensuing migraines.

  Here is a sample of some quilts I saw that were different from the norm:






Detail from quilt above


Kevin the Quilter's work, Radar
Detail of Radar

This beautiful quilt is an example of a problem I saw.
The quilts were laying on the floor because the supports were too short. I wish they would have made the bars higher so the quilts could have been seen in entirety. These were the bed quilt category and were not incredibly over sized.
I think a big show like this needs to have the quilt display as perfect as can be to show off these masterpieces.







3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thanks for the quilt photos. You are showing some different ones than I have seen on other blogs.

Terri said...

Thanks for showing your photos. Some of us (on the west coast) couldn't make the trip. It's good to see how amazing the quilts are... and lovely (made me cry a bit) to hear how the town rallys to supply the visitors. Guess I should start saving my pennies for next year.
Hugs

Kevin the Quilter said...

Thanks for your kind comments regarding "Radar!" I thought the show was great, and as someone who makes larger quilts, I completely agree that they should "raise the bar" so to speak LOL