Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Star Quilt, center out

     Making baby quilt can be a lot of pressure when it is for your own grandchild. My daughter is having her first in June. I had a hard time picking a pattern but settled on Blue Carolina Starburst from Fort Worth Studio. I liked the simple star. I found fabric I liked from Hawthorne Threads (digitally printed). I read the pattern over multiple times and I changed how it was put together. 
     I decided to start from the inside to outside assembly. I also did not cut squares and draw lines on the diagonal. I find that I cannot reliably sew 1/4" on either side of a diagonal line. I end up with lots of trimming. Using what I learned from Bonnie Hunter, I use the EZ Angle ruler, strips 1/2" wider than the finished size, and cut the triangles. I can line up the cut edge against my sewing guide and get the seams I need. I did not have to trim up any of the triangles, they were all perfect sewn this way. 
First cut, at 5 1/2", right sides together of strips
Flip the ruler like a hinge, and second cut

First round
Second Round
Third Round
     Another technique I used to be more accurate, is use the fork pins I bought at Lancaster. If I put the pins on either side of the seams, they come out perfect, right on. If I try to nest them and hold them, they nudge. If I try and use regular pins, they shift. I wanted these star points perfect and the fork pins work like a charm. I have another round of triangles to go!
Fork pins at either side of seam intersections on a tiny wonky star block

7 comments:

Debbie said...

This looks great! Love your accuracy and shared techniques.

Darlene said...

I just saw this quilt on pinterest tonight. I like the Bonnie way also, it just takes some time to figure out how to alter the pattern. Enjoy your grandbaby.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. I just downloaded the free pattern. I have at least 2 more baby quilts I need to make before Summer is over. Congrats on the grandbaby to be.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations to the Mum-to-be and to you - not long until June!!
Your star is looking lovely but you must be brave using those fork pins, I found they were lethal!

Julie said...

I have yet to use fork pins, but they look wonderfully helpful. I've double pinned, and cross pinned for better hold, though, so the fork would probably save a lot of time.

I think the quilt is going to be perfect, but I can imagine the thoughts you've had while making it. Here's hoping everything goes just like clockwork, and all you can talk about is the new little Joy in your lives. Thinking of you so much.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like it! and the colors!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on your new grandbaby!! I like that star pattern - but I don't like to cut squares and draw lines on the diagonal either. And if I try to use the Easy Angle ruler to make triangles, I have to flip it upside-down and backwards - so I use my LEFT-EZE Rule - instead - it's LEFT-handed - ;))