Sunday, January 31, 2021

Zebra with borders

      Because of the busyness of the Zebra stripes, I knew it needed a border. I tried a whole bunch of ideas but settled on a green diamond fabric. The color was perfect and the fabric had enough busyness to be part of the stripes. If I was making show quilts, the fabric would all have to be cut so that the diamonds all went in the same direction, but I am not a show quilter and I cut all the fabric strips WOF.

     I tried cornerstones instead of meeting those diamonds in the corners. I found four blues I liked and let my granddaughter (8) choose because she has a great eye for color and can explain why she chooses things. Now, I will have to find some backing that will work with this quilt and get it ready for quilting.

Choosing the cornerstones

All sewn on

     This is the Zebra pattern from Lynne Tyler

In her blog, she also talked about a new cutting mat. I needed a new one, so I bought the Rhino Mat, 2' x4' which has no lines and is translucent. The company was very good in delivering and I love it. It works so much better than the two mats I had there and cutting caught in the crack when cutting.

It went flat after this pretty quickly

Now it fits right next to my pressing mats.
This is a working studio, so there is lots of different stuff out
which bothers some people, not me.


 

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

The green diamond fabric and cornerstones are perfect! And your "working" studio is AWESOME - I don't know how anyone can be creative without making a mess. You have to be able to get to the stuff you need when you need it - so it should be out - and handy. Hiding stuff only wastes time searching for it - ;))

Debbie said...

This is a different one! The stripes make my eyes go crazy but the colors are great! Love the work area...creativity is not neat!

Lesley Gilbert said...

I'm not a green person but the colours look great mixed up with the darks and lights :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love that your granddaughter can explain her choices with words - that is a skill that will benefit her in so many ways (you can't fix a problem if you can't enunciate it first). Lovely colors - kudos to you! Good to hear you like the pressing mat.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is a seriously cool quilt top, Linda!! You were fortunate to have your Junior Color Consultant on hand to help with finding just the right cornerstone fabric. Is she quilting yet???

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Your studio is much neater than mine. Creativity is messy. Enjoy your new mat.