Saturday, January 30, 2021

Trying to reimagine a kit project

      A long while back, I bought a kit from Craftsy because it was so ridiciculously cheap. It had a batik jelly roll. Unfortunately, when I made the included pattern, the color blocks in no way went together, so the whole thing went in a UFO big bin. 

     Recently, I cleaned out the big bin and made smaller boxes of UFOs depending on what state they were in- all the pieces cut and ready to sew, more needed to be cut, ones with problems, sample blocks, etc.

UFOs by type and labeled in each bag front as to what it is and
what it needs instead of one big plastic box


     When I found the made blocks, I decided to make two quilts with a different pattern. I added the framed four patch block for the orange blocks. I laid the pale blocks over so you could see these colors just did not work together.

     Then I tried a whole series of colors for the borders. The only thing I thought that worked and kept the orange blocks focused was a darker gray. I know it is a Kona, but I don't know which one. I have tried to find out what color it is so I can order it as no one around here has it. I think it may be slate. It has a real blue cast to it. Grays photo so difficult.


The Kona gray I need is at the side.

       So now, I am stuck again. I want that gray and all I have is a fat quarter. Anyone have any ideas to figure out what Kona that dark, bluish gray is? I have not been able to find Slate in stock.

      I am going to make the pale blocks in the same design. I chose a turquoise for the frames on the 4 patch blocks. It is all cut and ready to sew.


 


5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I get that you want "that" Kona gray - but perhaps you could find a gray batik in that same vein that would emphasize the batiks in the top? If you know anyone in your guild who has a Kona color card, perhaps they could help.

Mystic Quilter said...

I go with the suggestion from Julie, perhaps the darker gray takes the eye away from those colourful blocks, lots of the batiks have quite a subtle design.

Debbie said...

Whoa, when you uncover a UFO there is a big reason for it! I like Julie's idea, because I am doubtful you will really get the exact gray you want....just because it is hard to match anything online. Maybe even a dark blue batik would pull it all together.
That all said, I like the variation you have created to make this work.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd go with an orange border instead of that solid. Looking at my Kona chart, it could be Metal, Chalkboard (more bluish) or Gotham Grey.

O'Quilts said...

ditto: Julie
If I could find my Kona card I would send it. Alas, I am a total finding things mess. xo