Friday, April 19, 2019

Jack's Basket baby quilts

     Every year, Sarah Craig, of Confessions of a Fabric Addict, has an event called Hands2Help. Different groups are listed every year for quilt donations. In the past, I have been fortunate to make quilts to give to one of the groups. Last year, I made a quilt, but couldn't quilt it due to my heart attack, and Sarah graciously quilted it and donated it for me.
     This year, new, is Jack's Basket. It is a group that celebrates Down's syndrome babies and gives a basket of goodies to the family. One of the items is a 36" x 36" quilt. I decided this year to make 4 of them using parts of blocks and a panel to design and create for them. 
     Going through donated block parts and figuring out a great quilt is not easy or quick. I want each quilt to be artistic and beautiful, not just sewn together. I despaired at the beginning as nothing was working. I used graph paper and battled my math skills. As I got the first one done, an Eric Carle panel, the ideas started flowing. In 2 1/2 days, I sewed all 4. Now, I have to sweat and see if I can get them all quilted by the end of May.
Started with a 20" panel
Made piano keys to match the small printed border and cornerstones.
Added the green like the grass.
Frog blocks and turquiose ones were donated, but taken apart, reassembled,
and added a dragonfly border.
Leftover heart blocks were sashed with fun polka dots and bordered with the same.
A bunch of HSTs were sewn into flying geese, some funky dividers and a bright orange border.
Crazy multicolor circles in blue enclosed the bright orange.


7 comments:

Ramona said...

Your quilts for Jacks Baskets are so wonderful! Great idea to use parts and blocks to create these little quilts. I have a daughter with Down syndrome, so you know where my donations are going this year!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those are super cute!! Best of luck with the finishing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You did a great job making original design quilts that are bright and fun. I think the recipients will be thrilled with them.

Dre in PA said...

I have Eric Carlee panels hidden away for the someday I have grands of my own. I'll bookmark this post for when I need some inspiration!

Debbie said...

You always have a wonderful way to making sun quilts from all avenues...leftover, pieces and panels. Each one has a great personal touch and feel to it. Great job.

Kathy S. said...

These will be great additions to Jack's Basket. I chose that charity also. It is near and dear to my heart (our son just happens to have DS.) What a wonderful cause. Thank you.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those are just SO adorable!!! Can you imagine the delight on that little babys ( and the moms) face!!!