Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Mini quilts and Mystery

     First, for the Mystery! I designed a quilt for my guild as a Mystery Quilt with 7 clues. It was meant to teach them how to use values, break up putting a quilt together so it could be sewn between other quilts- picked up and put down without getting lost. and beginner quilter friendly. However, over half of the people dropped out. I spent hours writing, doing the illustrations in Word, copying, testing, etc. I have a profound respect for pattern writers. I have no desire to write another pattern. 
     One Mystery pattern writer that I admire and have made her quilts is Alycia who is a champion for QOV quilts. I noticed she has been real busy, and I offered her my mystery for her followers. She graciously accepted and it is a go. Go check her out. I have not posted any pictures of it on my blog, so it truly is a mystery.

     For Valentines, I made my grandkids mini quilts that I used decorative paper clips to hold onto the cards. If they want, they can save the quilts and hang them in their new bedrooms. Their addition started at Halloween and mostly ended yesterday. They have new bedrooms upstairs. My husband put wood floors in for them, the trim got painted, and the beds were set up yesterday. Thursday, the carpet in their work/play area will be done. 
     I used the polaroid quilt idea and heart fabric for the backing. I used felt for the batting because I find it makes it less floppy than regular batting. I would love to make a whole polaroid quilt. Or two.


Back of mini quilts

7 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I have seen whole polaroid quilts but haven't seen individual mini quilts like that. Cute!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That was a great idea to share your mystery quilt pattern with Alycia. Now hundreds of people can enjoy it which makes it well worth the time you spent designing it.

Your grandkids valentines are precious. I hope they save them forever.

Mystic Quilter said...

Bet the grandchildren love these!! You may have no desire to write another pattern Linda but congratulations on writing just the one!! I'll visit Alycia's blog after finishing reading posts

Debbie said...

Your minis are so precious! Really cute memories to hang up and enjoy.
So glad you elected to share your mystery so many others will learn and enjoy it. Be sure to keep us updated with details as the mystery evolves. I know the extensive work one of these involve....just like teaching a class or workshop. And we give these away for free. So count it all good for going to the other group!

CPAQuilter said...

Thank you, Linda! I'm a member of the mystery quilt group and am looking forward to seeing your pattern. I love your little Valentines!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those gifts are SEW sweet!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've been reading about you doing the newest Mystery from Alycia. I don't have time to start anything new, but I'll be watching this one, and saving the clues for the future. I agree, it takes lots of work to write patterns. What cute mini's for your grands. I have 2 church banners to quilt and had been thinking of using felt as the batting on them.