Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy Restart Day 2019!

     Today is a day we can look back and ahead and to today. Even though it is just a calendar date, we are time bound creatures. It does a world of good to reflect and evaluate. If we have wisdom and discernment, we can get a good map of where we are, how we got to it, and where we can plan to go. 
     I have number issues with my brain, so I don't keep track of yards of fabric, number of quilts, etc. I have a hard enough time with my checkbook. So, I am looking over my blog photos, my UFOs, my fabric, and what consistently trips me up. Somethings are out of my control, like health or family issues, and others need to be reckoned with so they don't suck the life out of me.
    First of all, I am so grateful for the blog friends who stick with me and keep their own blog going. You give me the push to keep at it. You are great inspirations. Particulary, Wanda, Sarah, Debbie, Kevin, Maureen, Vicki, Julie, JulieBonnie , https://alefthandedquilter.blogspot.com/ and many more that I read regularly, but those mentioned above have given me so much to be grateful for, necessary feedback, and teaching. Thank you!
    I cannot come up with a whole 2019 plan today like many- it will take me a couple more days. However, I started with something concrete. I cleaned out a cupboard that I used to store yarn in (given most of it away but for those two bins and they will be moved) and arranged collected fabric according to project. All the text fabric is gathered although not sure what to make. All the OBW fabric together, etc. All florals on are the bottom right. The Kaffe will go where the baskets are. I can easily see at glance what I have. Currently, the rest of my fabric is stuffed into clear plastic boxes on shelving and needs changing. 
      In cleaning out the cupboard I found 4 charm packs of Amy Ellis' Modern Neutrals that I have been hoarding- saving. I took action, ripped off the bands and arranged them into a Plus Quilt or a One block cross pattern. Unfortunately, some prints only had one per pack instead of the usual 2, so I could not make as many pluses as I needed to make a good size comfort quilt. After laying it out, I folded some of the squares in half and put them on the edge. Liked the look, and cut some cream solids, and am making a piano key border using the squares I could not make a plus out of. Not sure of the corners yet- I will sew this up this week. Not my usual colors (reminds me too much of growing up in the 50s), but I love the fabric. 
First layout, dark plus too close to light plus which I changed.
Final layout but too small
With folded squares to see if border idea would work
Piano keys started, will make it big enough and uses the great fabric

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm not rushing to make a whole plan for 2019 either. One day at a time and maybe some plans will surface. You got a lot done organizing your cupboard. It is a lot easier to find things when you can see them....visual storage is my choice too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Reorganizing your fabric is a fabulous way to start the year. Having it where you can see it and find what you need is priceless! I'm not planning like I did last year. I have a few primary projects I want to work on. Beyond that I'll see what happens!

Gene Black said...

I have started taking it one day at a time and not trying to plan for the year. It is a joy to be retired and work on things when *I* choose to do so.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I really like your layout - and the piano key border works nicely. It's fun to play with and re-arrange your fabric - you never know what you'll find tucked away that you forgot you had - LOL - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you very much for the mention Linda. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this post from you and, like yourself I just can't get my head around making a year long project plan right now. There are three things on the agenda definitely and I'm looking forward to these very much indeed.
Good for you starting off the New Year with tidying a cupboard, we always seem to put off these little jobs but it feels so good when we see nice, tidy shelves. I'm liking your Plus Quilt, this is one I have written down on my list and wonder what size will the finished quilt be?