Saturday, October 6, 2018

Trying to right the ship

     If you have followed my four patch floral black diamond quilt, you will know I was disappointed with it. I grit my teeth, cut some black strips, and sewed them on. I used a method presented by my co-chair at our latest program on Seminole piecing. She cuts the strip wider than she wants, sews on the first side, presses it with enough to hang onto and then sews the next side with a wider seam which is then trimmed after pressing. This way, the strip is always manageable and does not stretch and wobble. Worked perfectly when I sewed the outside floral border on. The black strip finished at 3/4". I auditioned a whole bunch of fabrics for the outside border, thoroughly messing up my stash, and chose the first one I pulled out. 
     The quilt is now 72.5" x 87" unbound. I don't dislike it as much as I did, but it is not what I had imagined. I can live with it now. Why did I not buy more of that blue floral? I had to skimp with only 2 yards. I can't get the colors better than this.
My audition fabrics all around the black strip

6 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The floral border looks nice with all the florals in the blocks. It really softened it. Nice job!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is the perfect border. It really pulls out the florals from the center and the black is secondary.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I think it looks great -- that border made a BIG difference. Let it rest a while now and I'm guessing you'll be much happier with it after the break.

Astrid Reflux said...

I genuinely love this quilt! So even if it’s not your cup of tea, I’m sure someone will still adore it as a gift, if that’s the route you choose to go. Great job!

Mystic Quilter said...

I agree with Julie, the border has made the difference and you can look at it with fresh eyes after a little break.

co coya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.