Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Mixed results

     We tried round three of ice dyeing. My daughter-in-law and granddaughter wanted to do more shirts and some onesies for my daughter's new baby. I wanted some fabric for quilts- some watery blue greens. We all soaked them the same, put them on the same bins, covered with the same ice, sprinkled with the same dye.
     However, the results were mixed. The shirts, a long piece my daughter-in-law did, and the onesies came out fine. My pieces came out like bad lime headaches. We did not use green, but the blue and yellow mixed awful sickly. I did all the set up, wash out, etc and was left very disappointed.










     Katie's big yardage piece that she wants to use on the wall came out fine despite that the right side had white printing on it. The backside looked fine.

See the white print that resisted the dye? Back side worked great
     My two half yards and fat quarters are a real disappointment. I don't know if I should re-dye or just forget.


The flower shape is more sickly green than it is here, not really so yellow.

8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

They don't look bad to me at all - I don't see disappointment - I see some really pretty color combos. The blue/green one might make a pretty center strip for a bargello pattern if you turn it sideways - the red/pink one might make some interesting sashing/border strips - the blue/green FQ might make borders for the yellow flower one - which could be cut into quarters and re-arranged for a funky "modern" something. I see lemonade - LOL - ;))

JoJo said...

You may think it is a failure, but I think it is just beautiful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I think your yardage looks good. Perhaps because we see them from a distance rather than up close?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your expectations weren't met but they are some very interesting pieces, actually opportunities.

Mystic Quilter said...

I laughed at your description of the flower in the last photo!! A shame that your results left you feeling disappointed, I love the third piece up from the bottom, nice touch of orange in there.

Debbie said...

Your dying came out nice.....yet I agree they probably are not what you wanted. Unless you are using these as whole cloth designs, the fabric doesn't really lend itself to being cut up. All the shirts are fun. You got some great colors and mixtures. I say...go to the fabric store and find what you really want.

Sarah said...

It’s unfortunate that you are disappointed in the yardage. They look good online but I know that colors are not always true in blog photos. I can offer no advice on re-dying or starting over but I’m sure you’ll make the right decision, even if u use them to make something to give away. Would they work as bags for your charity quilts?

Nann said...

Well, I like the blue/lime half yard a lot! I have not had the courage to try to dye fabric. Hopefully you will persist and be more pleased with the next round.