Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Bunches of blocks

     I have not been able to get the time and concentration to work on a big quilt. My co-program chair and I held a class on paper piecing for our guild on Saturday. We took Lynne Tyler's bird and designed it as a simple paper piecing pattern with three sections and nominal pieces. We used baby rick rack for the legs to eliminate piecing. We used our new Sony Handicam and Epson Projector to show large format what was being done on the machine and cutting. I am not sure every one walked away understanding the paper piecing. Paper piecing is thinking backwards- in reflection. Some people just shut down when they see that. We were hoping to get to do the paper crane pattern (free from Hunter Design), but that did not happen. Here are my samples.
     One thing we did was print the patterns on newsprint. If you buy a newprint pad from the dollar store, cut it 8 1/2 x 11, you can run it through a laser printer, ink jet printer or copier. Makes sewing, folding and ripping out much easier.
Didn't get to sew the rick rack legs on yet.
6" block and 9" block, there is also a 3" one available
     Sapphire Stars, the Kevin the Quilter Mystery Quilt had a surprise clue, which is finished which is good because tomorrow is a new clue.


     Also, Debbie , showed her Scrappy Mountain majesty in florals and I was inspired to make a block. Oh, I want to make more!

3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm still working on (3 different) Clue #2. I'm way behind. Yes, learning paper piecing can be intimidating, but, I still like it, even though I tend to have to 're-learn' each time, if I haven't done it in a while.

Debbie said...

Your mountain floral block looks so good! I have the horrors of thinking backwards but I do love your birds. Great idea for the rick rack for legs....too cute!

Joly said...

Thanks for sharing! Very useful and informative.
website design price list