Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Visual Overload and recouperation

      On Friday through Monday, I was on a bus trip to NYC with a group of mostly artists. We stayed spartanly near Times Square and had a super capable guide with walking tours, the 9/11 Museum, the High Line, the New York Botanical Gardens which has a Chihuly exhibit, MOMA, and a night cruise past the Statue of Liberty and the lit skyline among other things. I think my brain is totally overrun with images. I love to learn history and our guide was excellent at explaining architecture, economic ebbs and flows, and had a passion for what he does. 
     I kept thinking and taking photos of what could inspire quilts that are beyond what I think I could make. I  will post some of my photos later, but Bushwick, in Brooklyn, there are street artists working, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/nyregion/a-son-of-bushwick-turns-the-neighborhood-into-a-gallery-for-street-art.html. The streets are on the cusp of change from a broken down industrial area that was abandoned by residents and businesses in the 70s- helped along by the 1977 blackout when it was looted and burned. The street artists have made it a cool, hip place for those who always seek the cutting edge. Among all the street art, graffiti, and brokeness, there was one mural that had a bee with a needle that seemed to be sewing a quilt turtle. It stopped me in my tracks.
   So, while my brain is cooling off and I get some rest, enjoy the art.



Street art Car?



5 comments:

Sarah said...

Great photos of the street art. It's amazing how that type of thing can change a neighborhood and bring life to it. There are a few people here who think it would be fantastic to have murals on the side of some of our buildings but there are "bigger" folks who always poopoo the idea. Pity.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Totally understand the overload scenario. Enjoy the process of discovering what rises to the surface.

Missy Shay said...

How fun!

Debbie said...

I love seeing thru your artist eye. And the bee/turtle is wonderful! Great inspiration to see such special creations.

Mystic Quilter said...

The street art is something else!!! In love with the turtle - gorgeous.