I needed to make a present for my neighbor (who authored the book I illustrated) for her 50th birthday party tomorrow. She writes from home and I see her outside when the weather is good with her iPad. I searched for a patterns for a cover or sleeve for it when she travels. I looked at a lot of them, but settled on a flap covered pocket. I used the bag pattern from here, http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2012/06/free-sewing-tutorial-geek-chic-ipad.html
but did not use the handles or clasp idea. This pattern was a sample from a book. I had a lot of trouble understanding what to do. I made a practice one first that I could use myself. Wow, did I make a lot of mistakes because the directions were sketchy to me. For the most important part of sewing the lining to the outside was lacking because it said to look in the book at techniques. I ripped the lining so many times, I had to cut a new one. Finally I got it together and it fit my iPad with the hard case. I used Soft and Stable instead of fusible fleece. Quickly, I made another one while it was still in my head. Not fun, but I finished it. My friend Elizabeth, from my guild, would have taken one look at the picture and figured the whole thing out. I have to use a couple of most disliked words I know "trial and error."
|Two bags made|
|First one a bit snug and the flap looked funky|
|Has two front pockets|
|A little bigger and flap looks better|