Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Monkey Business sewn up

     Those aren't my words, it is the name of the quilt kit I bought from Connecting Threads for under $25.00. I don't usually like kits, but I could not pass up the fabric for the money. The colors are a little too grayed for my taste, but it is going to be a comfort quilt and not live here. I tried real hard- I starched, trimmed with the June Tailor shape cut ruler, pinned, and I could not get the block seams to line up. I don't have trouble with smaller blocks and my 2 1/2" square seams always line up. Feel like an amateur when I look at the seams. I ripped out a number of them three times and it never improved. Keeps me humble. It is kind of unusual type pattern that uses freezer paper templates. Not sure if I would make it again. I think the blocks are too big to handle for me.

3 comments:

Louise said...

I can hear your frustration with the block seams. But I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out. There's so much fun movement in the triangles that they really steal the show!

Dre in PA said...

Have you double checked your ruler against another ruler??
I wouldn't be so quick to think YOU'RE making the mistake over and over again. I frequently use that non-woven gridded fabric for making purse patterns and have found the squares are a hint larger in one direction than the other, making my big squares- rectangles.

Vicki W said...

Lots of bias edges to deal with there. I'm not surprised that you had trouble matching them up. But it doesn't show and it's going to be a really cute quilt.