Unsuspecting, the thread got sucked into the tiny crack next to the handwheel, and for 5 minutes of warm up, wound itself around the shaft. When I turned the machine off after warmup, I noticed the thread going next to the handwheel. It was stuck, and when I probed it with a long pin, I could tell it was really wound thick. Nothing thinner than a pin fits in there. I tried unwinding it going in reverse with the handwheel, and got 40 minutes of unwinding done and then the thread frayed and broke.
After a trip to the hardware store and $30 later, I got an American set of allen wrenches (had metric) and found it was a 9/32 wrench that got off the side panel to see things better. It gave no more clearance for the handwheel, but I could get all the thread pieces picked up plus the pin I had dropped into the slot. I had to make a hook with a very long pin held with pliers and pry and break all the thread and remove. Total time: 4 1/2 hours.
Moral of the story, I am clipping the thread to the machine when warming up. I had clipped it to the velcro strip, but am now clipping it to the CD under the thread cone. One for the books. My hair was already white.
|A large portion of the thread removed. Brand new spool, too.|
|Thread was stuck in narrow slot to left of handwheel|
|Arrow points to clip securing thread|