Friday, August 21, 2015

Big Rails

     In the workshop in May I took with Sujata Shah, I made a sample rail fence block from her book, Cultural Fusion. She is now hosting a Rail Fence Quiltalong. Although the book calls for 5 1/2" width strips, I had a pack of Tonga Treat batik strips that were 6" that I mistakenly bought on a sale at Craftsy. So, I decided to use these strips. However, I did not read the warning on the package that says the sizes vary. As a result, I am pairing the strips, and then after sewing the strips together, I am trimming the sewn strip at 5 1/4" and then making the 5 1/4" squares. This makes the block 19" when finished, kind of big. Well, I will just make a big  quilt. Someone will want a big, bright quilt.
   The strips are all primary and secondary color batiks and I had to add in some of my own fabric to pull this off. Here is a sample of two of the done blocks that are 19 1/2" now.

No comments: