Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Quilt Retreat!







    Participating in a quilt retreat is awesome. I get to see how other quilters work and learn new things not from Youtube but from you ask questions and get answers. The retreat place, Camp Pioneer, on Lake Erie, gave two nights of gorgeous sunsets. Where else in the world would I rather be? You don't have to be a millionaire to stay at a place like this and sit on the beach and watch sunsets. How could I make these into quilts? I may just have to paint it.
   Learning new things is another great part. I learned paper piecing using Judy Niemeyer's new Charm Elements, number 1, Compass Rose. I have two awesome experience paper piecers, who have taken workshops with Judy, to help me through this and were exceedingly patient with all my questions and interruptions to their sewing.
I did it! I did it!
    I was fortunate that the quilters wanted to learn Geta's pouch and Kris prepped all the fabric into kits ready to go. It was rather late on Saturday night, but they were ready to learn and everyone made a great pouch. Here are some of them.

Front side

Other side


Inside
    I am grateful for the time and people that made this happen. I did work on my daughter's circle quilt and my HSTeria quilt also. Quilt retreats can be done reasonably (we provided all the food/meals) at some camps. They are worth it.

2 comments:

Peg said...

Love the paper pieced compass rose - Great job! And I also love the last photo of the swirling clouds and sunset over the lake.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Once I got over being all thumbs, the paper piecing was lots of fun. It is amazing how accurate it is.