Saturday, March 15, 2014

Quilt cards

    Just love to make quilt cards with my batik scraps. I had some birthdays around recently, including my grandson (forgot to take the picture of the trucks fabric card) and granddaughter (one day, two years apart although neither fell on my birthday, March 3rd). I like to make multiple cards at the same time because I get more warmed up as I go and it is a lot of scraps to take out and make a mess. I start with cut heavy weight interfacing and layer scraps on. I iron them and quilt them on, in this case my Singer 15 with belted motor. Then I used ribbon yarn to edge the cards. I did this on the 401 with zig zag and invisible thread. I just have to fasten the quilts onto the cardstock, stamp the inside, and address the envelopes.
Inside of Jolene's accordion card

Outside of card looking in
Before edging

Before edging

After edging

After Edging

4 comments:

Peg said...

I really like these mini blocks. Have you ever made a full sized quilt of prequilted blocks like these?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am not sure how I would construct a quilt like that. If the pieces were prequilted, how would they be attached to the rest of the quilt? They are pretty stiff; they are on heavy interfacing so I can sew them without flexing in the sewing machine. I love the idea, just don't know how to execute it.

Peg said...

Well, I tend to be a "sew by the seat of your pants" machine operator - so I'd try a few test ideas using only 1 simple block with a different backing[s] than stiff interfacing. And then make enough mistakes on that to work out the bugs. I never seem to get things right on the first try, I need mistakes to figure out how to do it right.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I will think about making a bigger one. I have to think a backing for the scraps.