Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

More cleaning!

   A woman at church was moving into assisted living and when the helpers from church were moving things, they saved a sewing machine from going to the curb and gave it to me. It is a Kenmore 158.1654. I fixed a friend of mine's Kenmore once, but I usually fix just Singers as that is what I sew on. After I got it out of its cabinet, it was apparent it was pretty filthy and not used in many moons. It needs a new belt, (ordered), and spool pins (ordered) since the ones in there are sheared off inside the holes. Everything else seems ok. It did not even move at all when I first tried. I took off the cover and soaked the shaft at the wheel with Liquid Wrench and kept working it. The cam was sort of cemented in also. Lots of solvent, Tri-flow oil, and wiping, and everything moves like silk. I found some cams for it on ebay. I remembered to take some before pictures. This machine could use a good home. It is very sound and a workhorse. If I could find someone who wants to sew, I would drop it off with some instruction. Hopefully, some wanna-be quilter is pining for a machine.
  I can't wait to put all the new pieces on and try some stitching on it.
DIRTY TOP

STARTED CLEANING SO I COULD SEE THE DIRT

SOME GRIME REMOVED, SEE THE CONTRAST

JUST LIKE NEW

ALL WAXED UP, OH FOR THE SPOOL PINS!

LIKE NEW!

READY TO STITCH

EVEN THE BACKSIDE SHINES

No comments: